NEW TSA REQUIREMENT –
Does your driver’s license have a star in the upper right-hand corner?
As of Oct. 1, 2020, every adult needs to show a Real ID-compliant driver’s license (or another acceptable form of identification such as a passport) to fly within the United States. You have time to secure this ID easily so that, when embarking on our Interludes, you are properly equipped. You’ll also need one to enter a secured federal facility that requires ID.
But what, exactly, is a Real ID? And how do you get one? Included among the new security requirements are features that make counterfeiting more difficult. Holograms are often used for this purpose. All Real IDs will also have a barcode that can be easily scanned to pull up information such as the holder’s full name, birth date, license number and more. And all the documents presented by Real ID applicants for identity and residency verification must be scanned and stored in a database ― including birth certificates and Social Security cards ― even if those people are denied an ID.
How To Get A Real ID
Everyone age 18 and up will need to meet these new standards for identification. Minors don’t have to show ID to fly, as long as they’re accompanied by an adult who has proper ID.
You won’t be able to get a Real ID online or through the mail ― you’ll have to visit a BMV office in person. You’ll also need to bring the following:
- An original or certified document that proves your identity, such as a passport or birth certificate. Photocopies won’t be accepted.
- A document that shows your Social Security number, such as a W-2 form.
- Two documents that prove your residency, including your street address, such as a utility bill, rental agreement or mortgage statement. You can use photocopies for these.
- If you’ve changed your legal name, you’ll need additional original or certified documents.
- Cash, check or debit card to pay the fee. The cost varies by state, but it’s usually less than $60.
It’s a good idea to contact your local BMV before showing up in order to verify what types of documents are accepted or you can check out this information online.
Please get this done sooner rather than later as the deadline gets closer the BMV’s will become more and more crowded. Note that all Interlude travel, with the exception of coach travel, will comply with this government regulation.