Why not spend a luscious week totally enjoying the unique and unparalleled natural beauty only found in springtime in Arizona? On this small group guided vacation with our own horticulture expert, Mark Zelonis, you will savor an interestingly diverse mix of art, culture and nature as you experience an Interlude like no other. Each day is filled with nature from the Arizona landscape and gently mixed with history and architecture.
It was so hard trying to decide which wonderful venue to write about – they are all amazing and well worth seeing but I settled on Day 2 – featuring large and iconic cacti – certainly not something you see in your everyday ventures. On this day, you will visit the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, a 98-acre facility featuring a zoo, botanical garden, art gallery, natural history museum and an aquarium! This unique environment feeds every one of your senses and will leave you in breathless wonder. What is available to you with your admission is simply amazing:
- Orientation & complimentary docent-led grounds
- Miles of walking trails through various Sonoran Desert habitats featuring flora and fauna native to the region;
- 16 individual desert botanical gardens;
- Earth Sciences Center cave featuring the region’s geology and showcasing the Museum’s extensive mineral collection
- Live animal presentations in the Warden Oasis Theater
- or Live On the Loose venomous reptile presentation (truly safe) or
- Fur, Feathers & Fangs featuring birds and mammals
- Keeper-Animal Interactions where you can watch animals being fed or trained for vet exams
- Docent interpretation stations throughout the grounds;
- Raptor Free Flight, a birds-of-prey demonstration where visitors view from the birds’ flight path (seasonal mid-Oct thru mid-April)
- The Ironwood Art Gallery presenting the best of travelling exhibitions with Sonoran Desert-related themes;
- The Warden Aquarium with touch tank experiences
- Plus access to a variety of animal exhibits including the Hummingbird Aviary, Cat Canyon, Reptile & Amphibian Hall, Life Underground, Walk-in Aviary, Life on the Rocks, Ancient Arizona, and Desert Loop Trail.
While this is primarily a walking experience, there are wheel chairs available for a slight charge and they have not only one, but two gift shops for your shopping pleasure!
You will be talking about this day for a long time and don’t forget to wear cool clothing and comfy shoes and definitely bring a camera! Every single day of this Interlude will delight and amaze you – it is truly a timeless treasure to experience and enjoy. Please read the complete itinerary and call to be sure that YOU are on this fantastic guided vacation in the springtime in Arizona!
Eadie, Interlude Blog Team
•For immediate service, please call (317) 913-0387 or email us
•Share your Interlude stories and photos on this blog
•Sign up for our email newsletter